Things We're Thankful For
• The unmistakable 'tink!' of
a puck hitting the post.
• Being one of 50 visiting fans
in a hostile opposing rink when your team wins a big game
against a rival.
• Watching a high school or
junior game, and noticing the flock of college and pro scouts
sitting together in one corner with their notebooks and their
• Shinny on outdoor ice on a
cold winter night, with a case of beer wedged in a nearby
• Mini-mite exhibitions during
• Wood sticks.
• The return of the Skating
• The opportunity to tell curious
NHL fans just how great our game can be.
• Getting the "on the record"
post-game word from a coach outside the locker room, then
getting the real story from him 35 minutes later over beers.
• The classic overtime clips
from five and 10 years ago shown at NCAA intermissions.
• That we still have friends
who fought the good fight and won, like Norm Bazin and Wendy
Sandelin, and that we got to know friends who fought the good
fight and came up short, like Shawn Walsh and Herb Brooks.
• Seeing a coach's young
son give Dad a big hug outside the locker room after a big